Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Week Two

Hi All,

A lot has happened since my last entry. The days at the retreat were incredible. We got situated in our Spanish classes, had some technical training and bonded. By the time it was over, I had trouble believing that I had only met my colleagues just a few days prior. Everyone in Peace Corps Costa Rica is unique and has a good sense of humor. In both sadness over separation and anticipation regarding our coming adventures, we said our goodbyes and went to live with our host families.

I arrived in the town of Patarra on Sunday afternoon to a house full of small children and dogs. I had lunch with my tia (Aunt) and my Primos (cousins), because my host mom and sister were at the beach. My primas LisaƱa (about 12) and Gipsy (about 5) are the most fun in the world. We hang out and play together; they are always around.

My host mom, Ligia, is fantastic. She and my host sister are homebodies; Ligia runs the household and Cristina is pregnant. Ligia feeds me until I can´t move, and is very pleased that I like her cooking (rice and beans anybody?). Cristina is my age and really cool. We are all excited about the baby. S/he is due in August.

Overall, I am having a great time. I have Spanish classes every day with four other PCVs. My Spanish is improving exponentially, and it needs to if i am to be an effective volunteer. I hope that everyone back home is doing okay. I will try and write another post soon.

Love to all,
Dave

3 comments:

Seema said...

Dave- I'm so happy that everything is going so well for you! We miss you over here.

birdarh said...

oh dave!!! this is so exciting. it is great to hear that your host family is wonderful. how many kids and pets are there all together. expect fun packages and letters in the mail. how is your host dad?
i love you and miss you.
ava

Jenn said...

Dave, your blog is my new favorite reality show. Keep it coming!
- Jugs

p.s. Como se dice en espanol "Jugs"?